Once I had the back of the jacket on the needles, I continued to look at the photo closely. Many details were visible on that one picture, but there were some places where I just had to guess! One of these was the exact shaping at the waist. I decided to use a band of ribbing to bring the waist in and to make the decreasing of the stitches less obvious.
I had already worked out most of the maths for the fronts. Only the pockets needed placing. The photo shows they are placed very low down, and well towards the side seams.
The sleeves were straightforward but the collar took a bit of time to get right. Parts of it looked like stocking stitch, parts like ribbing and parts like garter! The edging was definitely garter stitch, like the edges of the rest of the jacket and I finally went with ribbing for the main part.
Once the knitting was finished and the jacket was sewn up, there were just the fastenings to do. Pauline Loven had sourced some buttons which fitted very well. The button loops are done in blanket stitch over a couple of strands of yarn – just as my grandmother taught me before I went to school!!
My final job was to take some photos before I packed the jacket up and sent it down to Pauline.
(For a longer, more technical version of this post, see Liz’s Northern Lace blog post here.