The web page for Centenary Stitches is now on line, and you can pre-order it here. It costs £20, or $30. All the details of P&P are on the web page.
The book has about 70 patterns for all the family, all of them wearable today. Garments come in a wide size range (typically 30 to60″ bust/chest for adult garments). Most of the accessories are sized for toddlers to plus sizes, and many of the shawls can be adapted to different sizes and yarn weights. There are photos of more of the garments on the web page.
The book will be launched in Lincoln on 9th November 2014, Remembrance Sunday, and will be shipped in the second half of the month.
Over the coming months, various folk will be releasing some of the patterns reinvented for the film. The first few are now available.
We decided each of the designers would write up the patterns in their own style, but that we wanted a banner which would be used on all the patterns. Judith Brodnicki was asked to produce one, and this is her brilliant design:
The first pattern to be released was the Vest Scarf, knitted and adapted by Judith herself.
This is available on Ravelry.
Now two more have been made available under the Northern Lace name, again available on Ravelry. The first is Violet’s Jacket….
,,, and the second is a Dutch hood with matching scarf and fingerless mittens.
There are more details of these two on the Northern Lace blog here.
Once I had the back of the jacket on the needles, I continued to look at the photo closely. Many details were visible on that one picture, but there were some places where I just had to guess! One of these was the exact shaping at the waist. I decided to use a band of ribbing to bring the waist in and to make the decreasing of the stitches less obvious.
I had already worked out most of the maths for the fronts. Only the pockets needed placing. The photo shows they are placed very low down, and well towards the side seams.
The sleeves were straightforward but the collar took a bit of time to get right. Parts of it looked like stocking stitch, parts like ribbing and parts like garter! The edging was definitely garter stitch, like the edges of the rest of the jacket and I finally went with ribbing for the main part.
Once the knitting was finished and the jacket was sewn up, there were just the fastenings to do. Pauline Loven had sourced some buttons which fitted very well. The button loops are done in blanket stitch over a couple of strands of yarn – just as my grandmother taught me before I went to school!!
My final job was to take some photos before I packed the jacket up and sent it down to Pauline.
(For a longer, more technical version of this post, see Liz’s Northern Lace blog post here.
(written by Elizabeth Lovick, Northern Lace)
As I am frequently looking at old photographs and recreating knitwear based on them, I was delighted when Pauline sent me the photo of Grace in a jacket she had probably knitted herself and asked me whether I could copy it. The photo is clear, and the way Grace is posed means that all the important parts of the design are visible, so my answer was Yes!
Before the yarn arrived I looked hard at the photo to work out the details of the jacket’s construction, then worked out the stitch pattern. I narrowed it down to two possibilities on paper, then knitted them up to see which was right. After only a few rows I realised the first one was wrong, but the second one was right.
When the yarn arrived I worked out what needle size to use. The yarn chosen, donated by Rowan, is almost exactly the same thickness as the yarn Grace used for her original jacket.
The actress playing Grace is Victoria Rigby. I had been sent her measurements so the next job was doing the maths to make it exactly the right size for her.
Now I have started knitting the back. Some tweaking will need to be done as I go along, but the harder parts of the design work are done.
If you would like to see a more detailed account of the process, go to my blog, Northern Lace.