Here is the shawl/scarf that I have been knitting, I had hoped to keep you all up to date – ball by ball, but that went out the window! a shame really but our house was struck down with flu so not much time for blogging…I had hoped to have it finished a lot sooner but it made it there in time so I am happy!
It took a little under a month for me to knit up (with flu) so not bad going really.
I used 10 balls of 4ply yarn (50g) and it measured around 5’5″
and here is the finished item…before sending it off…
My favorite part to knit was the boarders, each end took 30g of wool (60g for both ends) to knit up and as it was lace work I really got into it.
I did one end while I was really feeling ill, very sleepy so it was nice to be able to knit one scallop then have a nap and do another and nap…..and soon it was done
when casting off the boarder the pattern tells you to drop a stitch…all the way down to the end (1st row) I have to say I found the idea of this very scary even before I picked up my needles! one of my thoughts was, ‘what if I accidentally drop the wrong one!’ it was just waaaay out of my comfort zone and it felt as if I was going against everything we are taught as knitters!
as I was knitting it up dropping the stitch didn’t seem like a good idea, it just didn’t make sense to drop it on that stitch, maybe a few higher, above the scallops, but not were it was suggesting! I checked, and double checked but it was the stitch the pattern said so with a deep breath and some faith I dropped the stitch…
….well I think my faith was misplaced!! it doesn’t look much like the picture I had! the two scallops on the left and the ones with the dropped stitches, and the ones on the right are the ones that were not dropped! my instincts were right I shouldn’t drop the stitch….at least not there… so I ran to Annie (Knitsofacto) to double check what was right, and to my relief she agreed, so I took to it with a crochet hook and began picking up the dropped stitches…. I have to admit before I did this I thought I would have to rip back the 3 scallops I had already dropped, but to my great relief it was fairly easy to pick up!
so their we have it, a quick run trough of the scarf, I do have more pictures of the progress but I wont bore you with all of them, here is one that I took and realized just how long it was getting!
after this I had to start taking pictures along the back of our sofa as it was getting too long!
Once I had the back of the jacket on the needles, I continued to look at the photo closely. Many details were visible on that one picture, but there were some places where I just had to guess! One of these was the exact shaping at the waist. I decided to use a band of ribbing to bring the waist in and to make the decreasing of the stitches less obvious.
I had already worked out most of the maths for the fronts. Only the pockets needed placing. The photo shows they are placed very low down, and well towards the side seams.
The sleeves were straightforward but the collar took a bit of time to get right. Parts of it looked like stocking stitch, parts like ribbing and parts like garter! The edging was definitely garter stitch, like the edges of the rest of the jacket and I finally went with ribbing for the main part.
Once the knitting was finished and the jacket was sewn up, there were just the fastenings to do. Pauline Loven had sourced some buttons which fitted very well. The button loops are done in blanket stitch over a couple of strands of yarn – just as my grandmother taught me before I went to school!!
My final job was to take some photos before I packed the jacket up and sent it down to Pauline.
(For a longer, more technical version of this post, see Liz’s Northern Lace blog post here.
(written by Elizabeth Lovick, Northern Lace)
As I am frequently looking at old photographs and recreating knitwear based on them, I was delighted when Pauline sent me the photo of Grace in a jacket she had probably knitted herself and asked me whether I could copy it. The photo is clear, and the way Grace is posed means that all the important parts of the design are visible, so my answer was Yes!
Before the yarn arrived I looked hard at the photo to work out the details of the jacket’s construction, then worked out the stitch pattern. I narrowed it down to two possibilities on paper, then knitted them up to see which was right. After only a few rows I realised the first one was wrong, but the second one was right.
When the yarn arrived I worked out what needle size to use. The yarn chosen, donated by Rowan, is almost exactly the same thickness as the yarn Grace used for her original jacket.
The actress playing Grace is Victoria Rigby. I had been sent her measurements so the next job was doing the maths to make it exactly the right size for her.
Now I have started knitting the back. Some tweaking will need to be done as I go along, but the harder parts of the design work are done.
If you would like to see a more detailed account of the process, go to my blog, Northern Lace.