Here is the shawl/scarf that I have been knitting, I had hoped to keep you all up to date – ball by ball, but that went out the window! a shame really but our house was struck down with flu so not much time for blogging…I had hoped to have it finished a lot sooner but it made it there in time so I am happy!
It took a little under a month for me to knit up (with flu) so not bad going really.
I used 10 balls of 4ply yarn (50g) and it measured around 5’5″
and here is the finished item…before sending it off…
My favorite part to knit was the boarders, each end took 30g of wool (60g for both ends) to knit up and as it was lace work I really got into it.
I did one end while I was really feeling ill, very sleepy so it was nice to be able to knit one scallop then have a nap and do another and nap…..and soon it was done
when casting off the boarder the pattern tells you to drop a stitch…all the way down to the end (1st row) I have to say I found the idea of this very scary even before I picked up my needles! one of my thoughts was, ‘what if I accidentally drop the wrong one!’ it was just waaaay out of my comfort zone and it felt as if I was going against everything we are taught as knitters!
as I was knitting it up dropping the stitch didn’t seem like a good idea, it just didn’t make sense to drop it on that stitch, maybe a few higher, above the scallops, but not were it was suggesting! I checked, and double checked but it was the stitch the pattern said so with a deep breath and some faith I dropped the stitch…
….well I think my faith was misplaced!! it doesn’t look much like the picture I had! the two scallops on the left and the ones with the dropped stitches, and the ones on the right are the ones that were not dropped! my instincts were right I shouldn’t drop the stitch….at least not there… so I ran to Annie (Knitsofacto) to double check what was right, and to my relief she agreed, so I took to it with a crochet hook and began picking up the dropped stitches…. I have to admit before I did this I thought I would have to rip back the 3 scallops I had already dropped, but to my great relief it was fairly easy to pick up!
so their we have it, a quick run trough of the scarf, I do have more pictures of the progress but I wont bore you with all of them, here is one that I took and realized just how long it was getting!
after this I had to start taking pictures along the back of our sofa as it was getting too long!
I’m working on a wrap-around vest (waistcoat?) from a pattern that dates to 1919. It’s a lovely piece of work: A vest worked side to side (rather than from bottom to top) with knit-on ties that wrap around the body and cinch at the sides.
As a designer of knitting patterns in the modern world, I’m fascinated by the construction of this particular pattern. The front pieces are longer than in the back and the back panel is more narrow that the front. It’s more like a sewing pattern than a knitting pattern, especially in the way that the shoulders join.
In modern knitting, the back and front panels are usually equal in width. If a pullover has a finished bust circumference of 38 inches you would expect a modern pattern to have 19 inches for the back and 19 inches for the front. On a vintage pattern it would be split unevenly so that there would be perhaps 17 inches on the back and 21 inches on the front. This makes perfect sense when you consider how the female form is constructed. 🙂
Garter stitch is used quite a bit in the vintage knitting patterns I’ve seen. It’s not that lace or stockinette or other textured pattern stitches are abandoned; it’s that I’ve noticed quite a lot of garter stitch. I’m wondering whether it’s because of the compact nature of this stitch and how it tends to make the fabric feel doubly thick — important if your goal is warmth!
I’m enjoying how much I am learning by knitting just this one pattern.